Due to a family emergency, Shades Of The Departed's "Out West Edition" will be posted December 15.
MAY 2010 ISSUE
MARCH 2010 ISSUE
FEBRUARY 2010 ISSUE
JANUARY 2010 ISSUE
DECEMBER 2010 ISSUE
Shades The Magazine
Shades Magazine Archive
In This Issue Of Shades
- This Week's Shades Old Photo On Twitter
- A Date With An Old Photo
- The Story of Today's Shades Old Photo On Twitter
- Scanning and Restoring Photos
- Are There Modern Tintypes?
- Shades The Magazine Promotional Video
- The Baffled Photographer
- Essential Skills - Learning To Read Old Handwritin...
- Wed Wandering Wednesday With The Photo Detective
I Think She's Dead Series
- I Think She's Dead (Part I)
- I Still Think She's Dead and Here's Why (Part II)
- Medicine Bottles Postmortem(Part III)
- I Still Think She’s Dead – But . . . (Part IV)
Twice Told Tuesday
- The Baffled Photographer
- Photographing Children
- Fashion Dos and Don'ts
- Photographs In Courts Of Law
- Photographic Survey
- Were Abnormally Vain
Web Wandering Wednesday
- The Photo Detective Adds A Chapeau
- Inventive Productions
- Modern Tintypes
- POTW Photographer Responses
Many Things Thursday
Friday From The Collectors
- A Moment In Time - Becky Wiseman
- A Monumental Task - Terry Thornton
- Two Dear Friends - L.H. Crawley
- Oscar Wilde, Sonny Bono, and The Naked Orphans - Craig Manson
- Why Digital Photo Restoration Is Important - George Geder
- Documenting Today For Tomorrow's History - Nikki-ann
- Community History On The Run - Chery Kinnick
- The Gift Of The Photograph - Lisa
- Digital ScrapBooking - Jasia
- Eliciting Stories From Your Photo Albums - Susan Kitchens
- Volunteer Genealogical Photography - Miriam Midkiff
- Reading Women's History - Denise Levenick
- For The Love Of Photos - Cathi Basler
- Collectors Of CDVs - Lorine McGinnis Schulze
- Generation Maps - Janet Hovorka
- Accidental Collections - Sally Jacobs
- Don't Purge - Get Creative Thomas MacEntee
- I Do Collect Photos - Maureen Taylor
- Becky Wiseman - kinexxions
- Terry Thornton - Hill Country
- L.H. Crawley - The Virtual Dime Museum
- Craig Manson - geneablogie
- George Geder - Photography-Restoration
Write The Editor
About Shades Of The Departed
I have been collecting photographs for over twenty years. This blog will discuss that collection, the types of categories I've developed for that collection, and the types of photographs I collect. I will also share with you what I've learned or am learning about scanning, creating a database, analyzing and dating my collection, and anything else that strikes my fancy related to photography and my collection.
About The Collector
I am fascinated by the clues left in the photographs I collect. Every picture is a miniature mystery and I love a mystery.
My grandfather was a photographer who traveled with the famous Burton Holmes. I am fortunate to have original photographs by both men.
When I was ten my grandfather gave me a camera as a birthday gift. It was evident that I did not inherit the "photographer gene." I have taken only one photograph in my entire life that I liked, but I know a good one when I see it.
I am a great appreciator.
Fortunately, I don't take myself too seriously. I know enough about collecting photographs to know I don't know everything, but I am learning.
My Other Digital Publications
Posts of note from the footnoteMaven
Smile For The Camera
A Carnival of Images
An Epitaph A Day - Keeps Death's Spectre Away
G&FH Alumni Web Site
The University of Washington Genealogy and Family History Certificate Program Alumni
Nearby History - Writer Friends
A group of Nearby History participants who get together to encourage writing
Travelers With Burton Holmes
The men and women who traveled with Burton Holmes and helped build his empire
I Blog The COG - Do You?
Carnivals Of Interest
- Smile For The Camera
- Carnival of Genealogy
- Cabinet of Curiosities
- Central and Eastern European Genealogy
- History Carnival
- Irish Heritage & Culture
- Where Were You?