Twice Told Tuesday - Fire ! Fire ! Fire!
Twice Told Tuesday features a photography related article reprinted from old photography books, magazines, and newspapers.
I attended a reading this weekend where someone asked a question about photographers, their studios, and fire. So today, let's court a little disaster and take a look at fire and its damage in the photographic world of 1914.
Hutchinson, Kans. Jan. 15. $53,000 fire includes photograph gallery in paths of destruction.
$53,000.00 in 1914 had about the same buying power as $1,144,529.70 in 2010.
Bridgeport, Conn., Jan. 19. Studio of Henry A. Pearlen damaged to extent of $150.00. Fire started by overheated stovepipe.
$150.00 in 1914 had about the same buying power as $3,239.24 in 2010.
Pittsfield, Mass., Jan. 19. Fire starting in studio of F. E. Chittenden burns for three hours, with $40,000 damage to adjoining property. Mr. Chittenden's loss, $10,000, partly covered by insurance.
$40,000.00 in 1914 had about the same buying power as $863,796.00 in 2010.
$10,000.00 in 1914 had about the same buying power as $215,949.00 in 2010.
Charlestown, Mass., Jan. 17. $600.00 damage done to European Photo-Studio, Leon & Garbis, props.
$600.00 in 1914 had about the same buying power as $12,956.94 in 2010.
Madison, Wis., Jan. 13. Curtiss Photograph Studio partially destroyed in fire caused by defective furnace in bank building next door.
Anonymous. "Fire! Fire! Fire!." Abel's Photographic Weekly, 1914.
Bortz Photo Co. Gary's Fire fighters, 1914. Photographic Print. Digital. Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 US. Accessed February 2010.